Sunday, August 31, 2008

Spicy Sweet Chili Doritos

For the second day in a row, I am writing about an allegedly spicy food item. This time, it's the new flavor of Doritos, Spicy Sweet Chili:

Any time a chip company releases a new flavor, I make it my personal mission to try it and judge it. So when a friend directed my attention to the allegedly tasty new Doritos flavor, I had to try it. I picked up a 99-cent bag at a 7-11, and saved it for the writing of this post. This will be the most comprehensive taste test this blog has ever seen.

The bag:
The bag is royal purple, with the name in three different fonts. "Spicy" looks like it is in a Gothic-y, olde English font; "sweet" looks handwritten and careless, and "chili" looks...plain. I would think that "chili" would be the most interesting, but no, they chose a tall, arial-looking font. Those people at Doritos need to get their marketing group straightened out.

The smell:
Sticking my entire face into the bag, I am greeted with a very strange, hard to place smell. It smells more sweet than spicy, I'll give it that. The spiciness smells like it was added in as a sort of afterthought, after the sweetness had sunk in. It isn't the best aroma in the world, but it fits the chip nicely.

The taste:
The first three or four chips taste absolutely terrible. But for the sake of the blog, I soldiered on and kept munching. After a few more, I noticed that the taste wasn't that bad. The first three or four sweet seconds after you put the chip in your mouth is really strange, but after that, it's just mildly spicy.

The aftertaste:
The very vauge spiciness stays with you for a little while, and you have the average Dorito-breath. Not bad, but it could use some working on.

Final thoughts:
To sum up what I thought of these, let me say this: I didn't finish the bag, nor would I buy them again, but I didn't throw the rest away. I'll probably eat them within the week, when I'm hungry for something strange.

No comments: