Saturday, September 20, 2008

The Weekly Shuffle: Week 7

It's really strange to think that I've been doing this for seven weeks. That's almost two months. It feels like longer, but then doesn't. It's a strange feeling. Anyways, here is my last.fm. It's getting too time consuming to make links to all of the previous weeks now, so just type "weekly shuffle" into the search bar at the top of the page for the archives.

Song #31: "Dealer," by Say Anything (no album)
This is a cover song, originally by the band Safety In Numbers. It's especially interesting, because Jake and Jeff Turner, the guitarists for Say Anything currently, used to play drums and guitar for them. Cool, isn't it? It always fascinates me when musicians are like that.
My favorite lyric from this song is in the beginning, and it goes "disrespect me and I'll smash your face." I don't know why I like these lyrics, they just sound brutal. It's all about a drug dealer, obviously. It's one of the few covers I like more than the original. But not only because I love the band doing the cover.
Rating: 9/10

Song #32: "Jason" by Sufjan Stevens, off of his album A Sun Came
For some reason, I don't listen to this album all that much. I guess I'm more into Come On, Feel the Illinoise! like everyone else. I do, however, absolutely love the cover art for this album. It's beautiful: How awesome is that?!
I'm about two minutes into the song, and it isn't all that bad. It's a bit repetitive, and sounds like just plain noise towards the end, but it's alright nonetheless. Not his best, though.
Rating: 4/10

Song #33: "You Help Them" by Say Anything, off of the Dormroom Demos
Wow, I think this is the first time I've ever had the same artist twice on a Weekly Shuffle. It's only fitting that it would be my favorite. Fuck yes.
This song is awesome. It's not my favorite off of the Demos, but it's still really good. It's a fairly decent breakup song, and it involves a lot of Max yelling at someone. Those are always the best ones. This song comes up on my iPod's shuffle a lot for some reason. I think it's rigged.
Rating: 8.5/10

Song #34: "Lolita's Medicine (From Autumn to Ashes vs. Dead Poetic)" by The Legion of Doom, off of their album Incorporated
I strongly dislike both of these bands, so hearing them together like this is really fucking terrible. For those of you that don't know, the Legion of Doom is a mashup group that takes two songs from different artists and combines them into one. They are good at their jobs, even though most of this album involves shitty songs by equally shitty artists. So I guess it evens out.
Rating: 2/10

Song #35: "Pink Moon" by Beck (no album)
Yet another cover song, this time by Nick Drake. "Pink Moon" is the only song I've ever heard by him, and it's really soft and really popular.
This cover is acoustic and (I'm assuming) in the studio. I'd hazard to guess it was recorded in the late 90's. It's a really good cover, sounding pretty close to the original. It's a bit too slow for me, though.
Rating: 6.5/10

This week's total: 6/10

No comments: