Thursday, October 9, 2008

"4 Cheese" Doritos

This is that "one food article" that I promised for this week. I know, they get a bit boring. But these were too interesting to pass up:
(Note: this old picture is the only one that I can find on the internet. The new bag is black, and really sleek looking; but my camera is acting up. Sorry.)
Those crafty motherfuckers at Doritos finally brought these chips back. I remember (briefly) seeing them on shelves as an adolescent, but never getting to try them, despite my consistent begging. But now I have them. Yeeeeeees, I have them. They were re-released alongside another old Doritos flavor, Taco. Never tried those, but I plan on it.
The bag claims that the four cheeses are "Cheddar, Monterrey Jack, American and Parmesan," but after further inspection, there are six. Colby and Swiss are in the ingredients box as well. I admit, "6 Cheese" sounds a lot more overwhelming than "4 Cheese." Even so, it seems a bit "high class" for a mass-produced chip, don't you think?
Regardless, I was not hesitant at all about reviewing these, though I have been in the past.

The bag:
It looks really neat. Like I explained above, I can't find a picture of it on the internet, and my camera is acting silly. But anyways, it's black with a bunch of orange writing on it, kinda sketchy-like. It's visually appealing. It's also interesting to note that there is a completely unnecessary advertisement for the new Ghostbusters video game for the PS3 on the back of the bag. Weird.

The smell:
They smell like regular "Nacho" Doritos, but with Parmesan cheese sprinkled on top. It's an appealing smell, especially if you enjoy the standard flavor. They look EXACTLY like regular Doritos too, but maybe a bit less orange.

The taste:
Goddamn, these are good. They resemble "Nacho" Doritos, but only vaguely. Like I mentioned above, it seems like it's a bit higher class than your standard cheesy corn chip. Being a cheesoholic though, I guess my opinion is sort of biased.

The aftertaste:
It has the unfortunate "I'm going to make sure everyone you come into contact with in the next seven hours knows you had Doritos earlier" aftertaste/smell. But that is to be expected.

Final thoughts:
I would recommend only trying these if you either like or love standard Doritos. Otherwise, don't bother. I plan on buying them again.

No comments: