Sunday, October 5, 2008

Irrelevance (T.W. #2)

Coldplay
For some reason, I've been getting into Coldplay's back catalogue a lot lately. Before a year ago, I was one of those people that despised Coldplay because of their overwhelming popularity, and (what I thought) were a sub-par couple of albums. But since I bought their newest album (Viva La Vida or Death and All His Friends) I have absolutely fallen in love with them. And not just that album, either. On my computer, we have every single Coldplay song ever recorded, and I've been working my way through it. They are one of those bands that evolves with every album, sounding aurally distinct with each release. It's incredible. Also, I've found something really, really neat online. It's a collection of every single they have ever released on 15 7-inch vinyl records (here). Sure, it's $100, but it looks like it would be well worth it.

Donuts
If you know me personally, you know that I started working at a local family-owned donut store recently. And if you know me personally, you know that I quit this job after having it for two or three weeks. And if you have any form of common sense or inference skills whatsoever, you'll realize that this is why I haven't been writing like I used to anymore. That job was literally killing me. The hours were usually from 4 AM until 6 or 8, which means I'd have to wake up at 3 AM and ride my bike two miles to the shop (I don't drive). The job itself was easy, and the people were nice, but the hours absolutely sucked.
Plus, I always smelled like donuts.

The Mars Volta's album Bedlam In Goliath
This album is my new favorite thing to listen to. It was recommended to me by my friend Vance, and I haven't been able to stop playing it in the last few days. It blows away everything they have recorded in the past. The best track, "Goliath," shreds my face off, and contains some of the best falsetto vocals I have ever heard. The album flows together so well that I'll start it from the first song and listen to it all the way through. I suggest you download or buy it, especially if you haven't exactly been pleased with them in the past.

Deadpool
Deadpool is my favorite superhero, and has been for a long time. The "merc with a mouth" now has his own comic series that started this month, and issue #1 was good. He's been teamed up with Cable for a while now (in "Cable and Deadpool") but the gun-toting behemoth from the future has returned...to the future, leaving Deadpool to fight Skrulls in present-day.
Anyways, I'm anxious about the new X-Men Origins: Wolverine movie that comes out on May 1st, 2009. Ryan Reynolds is playing him (PERFECT CASTING), and I'm excited to see it, but at the same time I don't want Deadpool to be popularized, appearing on t-shirts at Wal-Mart and messenger bags at Hot Topic. It sounds selfish, but I really enjoy the confused looks on peoples' faces when I tell them who my favorite comic book character is. Oh well.

The Simpsons
20 seasons later, and The Simpsons is still (barely) kicking. Last Sunday's season premiere felt outdated, but I have faith that Groening and crew will kick it up a notch sooner or later. I've been disappointed by everything they've done recently (save for these); all of which was only magnified by the semi-terrible Movie. I hope they stop before it gets out of hand.

No comments: