Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Irrelevance (T.W. #3)

The Joker
If you are going to be one of the thousands of people that goes as the Joker for Halloween this year, please, do it right. Don't buy a mask, paint your face. Don't buy a pre-made costume, make it yourself. The more effort you put into it, the more you'll stand out. I don't want to see a zillion people in the exact same outfit this year. Spice it up a bit, you ingrates.

Douglas Adams
I have an obsession with the late, great Douglas Adams. Famously known for writing the five-part Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy trilogy (no, not a typo), I fell in love with his writing when I was 14 after reading about it in the comic strip Get Fuzzy. He is my biggest inspiration as a writer, and I truly wish I could have met him before he passed away in 2001.
I do collect his books, however. Any editions, any reprintings, any languages. I'm obsessed. It doesn't hurt my wallet, either. When used bookstores sell books, they sell them for half of the "listing price," or the price on the book, and most of his books were released in the 80's, so I'm usually getting them for $2-$3 apiece. It's a fantastic hobby. I have 34 total, at the moment.

MGMT
For a scene-ish band, MGMT (pronounced "management;" look it up) isn't all that bad. Their debut album, Oracular Spectacular, was released to really good reviews, and I managed to avoid downloading it until around 3 weeks ago. At first, I hated it. Now, it's really good. I love it when you have that sort of relationship with music. It makes it all the better.

The Presidential election
I don't want to start a political debate here, but my first vote as an adult will be for Barack Obama. Being a registered Democrat, I really don't have much of a choice, but I'd vote for him either way. He, in my mind, is the candidate that truly cares about the American people. John McCain isn't a terrible guy. He fought for our country, and I respect him for that. But as a resident of his senatorial state, Arizona, I can safely say that he is not right for America.

Zune
A few weeks ago, I received a 30 GB Zune from a Microsoft promotion that I won a year ago (good job getting it shipped out fast, Bill), and decided to keep it rather than sell it. I was in the market for a new MP3 player anyways, so I figured it was just good timing. I love it, despite one flaw: the fucking shitty program that it forces you to use. After using iTunes loyally for 4 years, I can safely say that the Zune music software is the worst program for managing music. The stupid thing found songs that I didn't even know were on my computer. It's insane. And fucknuts. Fix it, Microsoft. Please. My iPod is dead now, and I really need it.

Musicals
I am one of the few straight men that isn't in a theatre troupe that actually enjoys musicals from time to time. But everything I love is being turned into one. Evil Dead has a musical deal, Spider-Man has a musical deal, and now there are rumors that the Goonies might have one too. Isn't that strange? I'd love to see all three though, assuming they were done right. Maybe I need to move to New York. And become gay.

No comments: