Sunday, November 2, 2008

RocknRolla

Earlier today, I was mildly surprised by Guy Richie's newest film attempt, RocknRolla. The director, best known for being married to (and currently being divorced from) Madonna, and film credits including Snatch and Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels, has been working on this movie for quite a while now, and I must say that it was worth the wait. I don't want this to turn into a "generic film review on a blog," so let me just interject with this: IT WAS COOL. Seriously, some of the scenes had me laughing my ass off, some of the scenes had me wanting to yell and scream at the screen in disbelief. It's one of those rare films (sort of like Snatch) that essentially takes you on an emotional rollercoaster by watching it. It's basically what I expected from Smokin' Aces. And I liked Smokin' Aces, so that's definitely saying something.
It follows a bunch of English gangster lowlifes in a group called "The Wild Ones" that is lead by the star of the movie, Gerard Butler's character, OneTwo. He wants to steal a bunch of money to pay back the city's crime kingpin, blah blah blah (enter amazing synopsis here). Butler's fantastic acting chops are flaunted in this film, especially during the scenes involving the two Russians. Trust me, hilarity ensues.
But I don't really want to talk about any other performances, except Toby Kebbell's fantastic, show-stealing one. His portrayal of a junkie rockstar, Johnny Quid, is one of the best performances of the year. Easily. Fast-talking and absolutely brilliant, Quid is what makes the sequel to this movie (titled The Real RocknRolla), and the alleged sequel to that (titled RocknRolla Suicide) sound like they will be amazing as well.
Reading over what I've just written, it sounds like a bunch of bullshit, and a typical Guy Richie film. And yes, it's definitely both of those things. But in the best way imaginable.

No comments: