Friday, December 12, 2008

Stephen King <3's Jason Statham

So legendary horror author Stephen King released his top ten movies of 2008 today. The list is as follows:

1. The Dark Knight
2. Slumdog Millionaire
3. WALL-E
4. Tropic Thunder
5. Funny Games
6. The Bank Job
7. Lakeview Terrace
8. The Ruins
9. Redbelt
10. Death Race

This clenches it. Stephen King has a man crush on Jason Statham. He is the only actor to have two movies in King's top ten. Hell, he's the only anything to have two spots on there (director, producer, etc.). Sure, The Bank Job was a badass movie. And I haven't seen Death Race yet (but it comes out next Tuesday, YES!). But two movies, really?
I guess I understand him, and envy his ability to not give a shit about what people think of his tastes. Jason Statham is one of those actors whose movies I absolutely cannot rate without being biased. I'd give Crank a 10/10 if I was being honest with myself. It's one of my favorite movies. But I don't want to let it taint my "top ten" list, because I'd like to be taken seriously when I name the movies on the list off from memory like it's my social security number.
But I digress (as usual). Strange choices aside (Redbelt? The Ruins? Really, Steve?), he readily admits he has crappy taste:

Let's start with a confession: I'm not trustworthy when it comes to movies. I'm two-minded about them. Take this year's Saw film. I sat there in my favorite seat — third row middle, so the screen towers above me — and my forebrain was thinking, Oh, man, this is the year's biggest pile of cinematic dog vomit. But the rest of my brain is thinking, I'm at the mooooovies! IS THIS GREAT OR WHAT?
So when I get flamed in the letters column, as I usually do after one of these lists, I know why. This is almost surely the only 10-best list you'll read that contains not one but two Jason Statham movies; it's that two-brains thing."
Edited out of the originally-written article is a description of how Stephen then proceeded to whip out his wallet and show his collection of pictures of Statham while emitting high-pitched, girly screams. At least someone loves him as much as I do.
Also, nothing screams "I'm middle-aged!" like putting Lakeview Terrace on your top ten list. Besides maybe putting Righteous Kill on there. Hurm.

Found on /Film.

No comments: