Friday, September 5, 2008

Why I hate America sometimes: Reason #3857365

When I was on my way to take a test for my Psychology class today, I heard an ad on the radio for a new service called "HD radio." The disembodied voice coming out of the speakers promised that it has "CD-quality sound, but over the radio," and urged me to check out their website for a demo. I didn't, of course, because I see no point in highly defining my radio. Sure, it gets static-y sometimes. But that's what makes it a radio. Plus, if I wanted crystal-clear reception, I'd buy XM or Sirius radio. You have to get an adapter for your car in order to recieve the HD channels regularly anyways, why not pay a small monthy fee and get zillions of channels?
But I'm not going to turn this into an advertisement for satelite radio services. No, I just think that this sort of obsession with High Definition that Americans seem to have is getting a bit ridiculous. We have HD TVs (to which "the Man" is forcing us to switch over to by early 2009), HD computer monitors, and now HD radio. What's next? HD movie theaters? Oh wait, we have IMAX. So...I guess nearly everything is HD now. It's scary how fast this all happened.
But the question I ask is this: do we really need to see and hear everything perfectly? I think the technology gets a bit ridiculous when you are watching a show and seeing things clearer through the TV screen than if you were there experiencing the show for yourself.
Maybe I'm just irked because I grew up watching shows on an old TV with hardly any color; on which we had to move rabbit ears to get any "good channels" on. Maybe I'm jealous of the next generation. I can imagine this is how our parents and grandparents felt when they switched from black and white to color TVs back in the 60's and 70's.

No comments: