Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Spore: teaching Darwin's theory of evolution

A few days ago, Electronic Arts (EA) released a computer game named Spore. Here is the official synopsis:

Create your unique creature and guide it on an epic journey through a universe of your own creations.
Basically, you make a creature and watch it evolve through five different stages, from cell to galactic conquest. It's rated E for Everyone, and is already being hailed as one of the best computer games in the "DIY" genre. The not-so-shocking mastermind behind this project is Will Wright, who also created every single SIMS game ever. I really want this game, and I'm not even into computer games anymore. It looks that good.
But as usual, Christians have their panties in a knot about this, because it promotes Darwin's theory of evolution. Shocking, right? Well, there is a blog dedicated to the "cause," with the extremely creative moniker "Anti Spore." On this site, some sort of extremely right-wing nutjob writes things like:

It takes a village to raise a child...
And 8,500 employees at Electronic Arts to corrupt a child’s mind.
8,500 people all working together and not a single one with enough Jesus to stand up and say what they are doing is wrong.
It makes me sick.
I wish I had as much Jesus as this writer seems to think he/she has. I mean, I want to own illegal amounts of Jesus. Jesus for everyone!
And here is another gem:

Today EA’s stock is down almost a dollar.
I hope that the information about Spore I am making available helped in some small way.
I'm not sure about you, but if I made a blog and effected a company's stock price the very next day, I'd be fucking floored. Things like that just don't happen in the real world. Don't tell anyone, but blogs don't really matter in the real world.
I don't know, this person seems like too much of an easy target. It's sad, because they post a few posts a day with meaningless content about something only the author feels strongly about. It'll never last.*
I just don't understand why the Christian culture is the only one that seems to have a problem with this. Do you really think it is EA's intent to turn every gamer into a firm believer in Darwin's theory? Are you really that paranoid? Can't we all just get back to whining about and defending excessively violent video games? Come on, put down the holy water and stop speaking in tongues.
Special thanks to Sean for showing me Anti Spore.

*I hope you all caught the irony here.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

This was fucking amazing.

Oh, and: "I'm not sure about you, but if I made a blog and effected a company's stock price the very next day, I'd be fucking floored."
was the best part, I rofl'd.